Friday, November 25, 2011

It's been a while...


But I haven't forgotten you. I haven't written recently because my new job has taken over my every waking moment and there hasn't been much movement on the publishing front. And because this is a blog about my attempts to get published, I haven't had anything to say.

There are a few updates I can now tell you about. I had the results of my creative writing MA and discovered I received a distinction for my dissertation. Which is also my novel. There were a few victory laps around the lounge that evening followed by large quantities of wine. The next morning I received a query from an agent asking me to submit my first few chapters. I contacted the agency way back in July/August so it was a lovely surprise to see they were interested as I thought my query had disappeared into oblivion.

And in the last week I've had an email from an agent who has read one of my short stories and asked to see the novel. I've sent it on to her and I'm still waiting to hear back from a publisher who received my amended novel a month and more ago. 

It feels like there's some movement now after spending so long waiting. I realise that there will be rejections, probably lots and lots of rejections to come, but feedback is what I need now. I've worked on this book from a literary perspective, not a commercial one, and it will be interesting to see what the people who work in the industry make of it. I foresee a lot of editing in 2012. I'm learning that publishing is a process that takes time, a long time. I think what we have to do as writers is somehow convince an agent or publisher that our novels are worth six months/a year/18 months of their lives to develop, edit, publish, promote and sell. It's tough to do.

I'm not sure I want to hear back from them. Right now the future is full of potential and opportunities and I don't want to have them closed off. So I'm enjoying this bit as much as I can until the decisions come in, bad or good.

Apart from that, I've planned out my next two novels. I also attempted NaNoWriMo with the best intentions in the world and managed 994 words. FAIL. Oh well, there's always next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment